Sign in to follow this  
RawDawg95

Can the plane take off?

Can the plane take off?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

747-take-off-conveyor-belt.jpg

Feel free to add your justification to your answer below :)

Edited by Big Kahuna (BK)

No.

Source:  Pilot

:P

YES, cause im different

changing my vote to No. since there is no lift for the plane to get off the ground

no just as thorvald said lack of moving air no lift

No, this shouldnt be a hard question hahaha.

THIS SHIT AGAIN

YES IT CAN TAKE OFF, AS THE SPEED OF THE WHEELS DO NOT CORRELATE TO AIRSPEED. IT'S NOT A FUCKING CAR

Because it CAN take off if the engines throttled up, as the thrust created by the engines would propel the craft forward, regardless of the state of the wheels. Unless, you know, friction, in which case, WHO THE FUCK KNOWS.

If it said WILL it take off then it'd be no. 

also mythbusters tested it and its possible. 

10/10 way to get me heated. 

Edited by Blackjack
  • Like 3

In order for an aircraft to take off, the aircraft must be moving at a speed which generates enough thrust to lift the aircraft. 

think of it this way if your running on a treadmill running 12mph and the treadmill is going 12mph. Your actual speed is 0 mph as your covering 0 distance/ time. no speed no air lift no take off

Well... what makes an airplane fly? 

Money.

No money here so no flying here.

Anyways, for the plane to fly thrust must be more than drag and lift must be more than weight.

Lift requires a change in the air pressure beteeen the wings. How do you get that? You need velocity. No velocity, no lift. No movement, no velocity.

So.. nope it ain't going anywhere.

Actually I think Blackjack is right on this one.  I remember that Mythbuster episode.  I specifically remember getting angry at it because I couldn't fully wrap my head around the physics.  Something so simple seemingly defied what I thought was common sense.  

It was like watching Interstellar....damn movie challenged my own intelligence. 

The upside, many fellow aviators fell for the same trap.  So I was not alone.

Edited by Muuvie
  • Like 1

Maybe?

Id like to point out that if the conveyor is actually moving at the same speed as the wheels at ANY given time then no the plane will not take off.

However if you do it like myth busters did it with the conveyor only going a set speed the entire time while the wheels of the aircraft are variable according to the engine power. The plane will take off.